Controller (mod matrix)

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1 by vvilms
In the manual, it states that the controller is a simple scale source.

In my experience, a scale source amount shouldn't have an audible effect, if no modulation amount is applied.

Ie. These settings are causing an audible modulation when I believe they shouldn't be:

Mod Source: Random Trig
Mod Destination: Osc 1 Pan
Mod Amount: 0
Controller: LFO 1
Controller Amount: 100%

Any additional insight would be very much appreciated. :)

Sincerely,
Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #2 by vvilms
Replied by vvilms on topic Controller (mod matrix)
To clarify: Scaling a modulation source by another modulation source implies a multiplication (0 to 1) -- Ie. To (positively) scale a LFO depth by a mod-wheel would increase the LFO depth when the mod-wheel is engaged, rather than transposing the range of modulation.

The behavior I've been experiencing is more akin to a sum, which I don't find to be as useful.
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by vvilms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mariogrueffelo

More
1 month 2 days ago - 1 month 1 day ago #3 by peake
Replied by peake on topic Controller (mod matrix)
I think this functions exactly as it should and in my experience is the common/sencical/easiest way to Modulate via another modulator.

Control amount (LFO1) set to 100% results in the RndTrigger's mod depth>Osc pan being modulated by LFO1...as LFO crosses zero point , RndTrig is not modulating OscPan at all......no sum, no multiplication - the control amount simply applies pos/negative "DC" to the amount of modulation from RndTrig to Osc.

Said again in a different way - even tho RndTrig's mod depth is set to zero, it is being turned Up/Down by Control (LFO1) as this amount is set to 100%.

I use the mod control function quite a lot ---for example, i will set multiple sources to multiple destinations.
All mod amounts will be set to zero , but all of their control values will be set to 50-100% (mod control is mod wheel or aftertouch).
The result is a static noise with no modulation, but then when i turn mod wheel up, multiple mod amounts rise and the static sound morphs into something more interesting.....every single patch ive made on iridium has controls like this, its fun

Happy tweaking :)
Last edit: 1 month 1 day ago by peake.

More
1 month 1 day ago #4 by paulinwales
Replied by paulinwales on topic Controller (mod matrix)
I originally expected this to work as:

destination=destination+(source output x amount x controller)
so osc1pan=osc1pan+(rnd trig x 0% x 100%) = adds 0% to osc1pan
(which would give a maximum of 100% source sent to destination in one matrix row)

but in reality it works like:

destination=destination+(source output x (amount+controller))
so osc1pan=osc1pan+(rndtrig x (0%+100%)) = adds 100% of rnd trig output to osc1pan
(this means we can send up to 200% of source to destination in one matrix row)

note: pitch as destination works differently as the amt and controller amounts seems to be scaled individually then summed, rather than the sum being scaled.

eg 50% amt + 50% controller to pitch is not the same as 100% amount.
also, 50% amt to pitch in one matrix row and 50% amount in another matrix row to pitch is not the same as 100% to pitch in one row.

and some mod matrix destinations are not added to, the value sent to them is used as the absolute value eg lfo and komplex mod gain.