Feature request - Midi CC control of Osc on/off

More
1 month 4 days ago #1 by kerneweger
Hi

When patches use modulation of volume via the mod matrix sometimes you cannot completely mute oscillators by turning the dedicated Osc volume knobs all the way off. This usually happens when you are modulating the 'Osc mix' parameters with LFO's etc in either positive or negative amounts.

I haven't so far found a way to overcome this, unless perhaps i shut the filter completely, but that doesn't work when all oscillators are routed through one or more of the filters.
Without creating too many workarounds for these sorts of patches could we instead have the Osc buttons send NRPN on/off via midi? This would solve this in an instant if it were possible.

If anybody knows a simple workaround that i haven't thought of, please share it.

Cheers, Shaun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 days ago #2 by kerneweger
Just to add that i would like to be able to reliably automate turning on and off of oscillators with a DAW.

More
1 month 4 days ago #3 by paulinwales
You can press the oscillator type button to turn the oscillator completely off.

More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #4 by kerneweger
Hi mate

Yeah i know that but you cannot automate that via NRPN or CC within a DAW and that is because the OSC type buttons do not send this data, and currently cannot be configured to do so.
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by kerneweger.

More
1 month 4 days ago #5 by paulinwales
Another thought - if you're not using DF, you could have routing set to Former>Filter and then route the oscs you want to control to DF, and the rest direct to Filter. Then you could use DF level to kill the oscs via modulation.

More
1 month 4 days ago #6 by kerneweger
Yes that would work in certain patches, however for the selection of patches i have in mind it would not. This is nearly always due to the way the quantum modulates the 'osc mix' parameter within the mod matrix. When using LFO's the volume can still be pushed above 0 even with the OSC volume knobs set to 0.

My suggestion would easily create an easier solution for those who want to automate this in a DAW, but more to the point - are these buttons actually able to be given this functionality? did Waldorf just not configure them yet?