Drum patterns?

More
2 months 3 days ago #1 by Jfish930
Drum patterns? was created by Jfish930
Hello All,

I am thinking of selling my Korg Krome EX. I will then only own a Jupiter X and am just about ready to pull the trigger on the Quantum. What I will then be missing by not having the Krome are 100s of drum patterns that actually sound good (at least in my opinion) as they have breaks and fills in many of the patterns not just the same 2-4 measures repeatedly. Does the Quantum have drum pattern programs built in or is it relatively easy to learn how to make some drum patterns?

Does an inexpensive Daw like Reaper ($60) or the Ableton Lite Version ($99) have such drum patterns? Or do I need to purchase plug-ins with those?

Thanks for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #2 by Lukas.S
Replied by Lukas.S on topic Drum patterns?
Quantum comes with a few patches that create drum patterns through the sequencer or an arpeggio. However, you can create your own drum patterns fast.

You can ether use the integrated step sequencer to create drum paterns or play a short drum sequence live and capture it with the internal Record function. The result can be inserted into a sample oscillator and played in a loop while you play along.
Both the step sequencer and the sample oscillator can be modulated in many ways, so you can add an extra spice to your drum patterns and loops.

Before you post: Have you checked our FAQ and Support section yet?
Contact us there if you have any issues or bugs to report.

"I've seen things... So many things that you can't believe. Past designs, future designs, cables in the bend."

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #3 by paulinwales
Replied by paulinwales on topic Drum patterns?
I don't think that presents a clear picture - the sequencer is monophonic, so it takes kludges to do multiple-hit per step drum sequences.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by paulinwales.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #4 by paulinwales
Replied by paulinwales on topic Drum patterns?
fwiw, here are some notes on setting up a single voice, single layer, 3-drum drum-sequence.

- - -
load > init tap layer2 screen button

osc1 > particle actions > import > import the drum samples one at a time to internal storage if not already there
(note: to work properly, sample lengths need to be shorter than the duration of a single step's gate in the sequencer)
actions > add > select the first drum sample eg kick
control > pitch keytrack=0

osc2 > particle actions > add > select 2nd drum eg snare

osc3 > particle actions > add > select 3rd drum eg hat

turn osc mix 1/2/3 knobs off

press top "mod" button to enter mod matrix:
1; source=seqparam1 > amount=100% > destination=osc1 mix
2: source=seqparam2 > amount=100% > destination=osc2 mix
3: source=seqparam3 > amount=100% > destination=osc3 mix

"perform" button > arp & seq > mode=sequencer
turn on

select param1 (by tapping where it says "note" by default)

set the levels for where you want drum hits for osc1/drum1 to sound

repeat for param2/drum2 and param3/drum3

press "latch" button

layer button > voices > timbre mode=split
min key=c1 / max key=c1 / voices=1

press layer 1
min key=c#1 / max key=c6

now, pressing lowest key on keyboard starts/stops the drums and the rest of the keyboard is available to play the other 7 voices on layer 1, which can be patched/loaded as desired.

Here's an audio example with kick, snare and hat on layer 2 and a simple bass arp on layer 1.

www.dropbox.com/s/2imxgyv2oq7peiv/q%20layer%20drum.wav?dl=0

This technique isn't limited to sample based drums - drums can be synthesized eg using the kernels engine, or using separate oscillator routing to shape a filter that only a single oscillator goes through. Also modulation can be used to affect the oscillators/drums eg a synced S&H LFO or random source can be used to affect osc level of a hat, or a combination of another seqparam lane and envelope can be used to selectively shape an open hat into a closed hat to.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by paulinwales.