Firmware Update vs Panel Update?

More
2 years 3 months ago #1 by genshi
I see that there is a new update 1.2.3 Firmware for the Quantum (thanks!) and I've downloaded it and installed, but one user in another forum mentioned that the Panel also needs to be updated from 0.28 to 0.29 but I can't find where to find this panel update on how to actually perform it. Is that what the "Flash Panel" option is for in the Global Settings? The manual doesn't mention anything about "Flash Panel" and I'd hate to lose all of my presets if that's what this does...

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #2 by genshi
Updated panel with no issues using the "lLash Panel" option, but would still like to know the difference between Firmware and Panel updates... thank you.

More
2 years 3 months ago #3 by Lukas.S
Panel update just flashes the controller which reads out all the potentiometers and buttons from the front panel. This runs separate from the CPU. Firmware update changes the OS with the synth engine, GUI etc.

Before you post: Have you checked our FAQ and Support section yet?
Contact us there if you have any issues or bugs to report.

"I've seen things... So many things that you can't believe. Past designs, future designs, cables in the bend."
The following user(s) said Thank You: genshi

More
2 years 3 months ago #4 by genshi

Lukas.S wrote: Panel update just flashes the controller which reads out all the potentiometers and buttons from the front panel. This runs separate from the CPU. Firmware update changes the OS with the synth engine, GUI etc.

That makes sense, thank you! One last question if you can, the LED for the Big Knob below the Screen, I thought it was defective but I'm hearing that Waldorf deactivated it... any particular reason why?

More
2 years 2 months ago #5 by Thumper

genshi wrote: That makes sense, thank you! One last question if you can, the LED for the Big Knob below the Screen, I thought it was defective but I'm hearing that Waldorf deactivated it... any particular reason why?

I was wondering this too...

More
2 years 2 months ago #6 by rolfw

Thumper wrote:

genshi wrote: That makes sense, thank you! One last question if you can, the LED for the Big Knob below the Screen, I thought it was defective but I'm hearing that Waldorf deactivated it... any particular reason why?

I was wondering this too...

There are some aspects about the Quantum, where we haven't been 100% sure about how to make best use of it. In some cases we simply have left things open to be able to add stuff when we've more experience. For ex. the main encoder so far hasn't been used much to its potential. In 2.0 we've added some nice use cases for the main encoder. So, we'll see, one day we also make use of its LED :-)

Quantum is a forward looking synth. We are always open for good ideas. Not everything can be realised, but almost everyday we learn something how to improve the interplay between physical pots, buttons, the touch screen, encoders and LED handling. For us it's the platform for more to come.
The following user(s) said Thank You: genshi, SteveElbows