Stereo filter

More
2 years 2 months ago #7 by prophei
Replied by prophei on topic Stereo filter
That is the only practical option, and it is "ok". I never suggested that it was a deal breaker, it has just thrown some people for a loop to design a stereo osc that by default dumps directly into a completely mono filter.

I love the synth, it is incredible, even with weird quirks like this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #8 by Roonan
Replied by Roonan on topic Stereo filter

Weston Underwood wrote: Just route much of your audio through the analogue filters for the sound, then send a portion direct to the digital filter (maybe 30%) where stereo is preserved. This is plenty to trick the ears into thinking the whole sound is stereo and yet keep the quality of the sound. Do I wish it was true stereo? yes, does this workaround do a good job? yes, does the lack of true stereo represent a reason not to own one? no!

:P

More
2 years 2 months ago #9 by rolfw
Replied by rolfw on topic Stereo filter
Without serious hardware modifications we won't be able to make the analog filters stereo. We would need to add another 8in + 8out converters in addition to the 12in 16out we already have. If we would stay in analogue domain after the filters and maybe only feed an analogue sum into a stereo digital fx like in other instruments, then things would be easier.

On the other hand, what you gain are the digital formers on a voice level. And we are extending this approach in some new territory:

For 1.2.5 we've added parameters for stereo panning and output level of the analogue filters and the digital former. This would be most useful if you put both in parallel mode and then pan them differently to the stereo image. Both output pans & levels are also mod targets. That plus the osc output pannings and routing options gives a huge potential to create complex timbral stereo images and modulations. For me it opened a new door.

1.2.5 will be released soon before 2.0 beta starts. In fact, the reason why we've shifted 2.0 beta to get this out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cirillo1

More
1 year 10 months ago #10 by cirillo1
Replied by cirillo1 on topic Stereo filter
The Quantum is such an amazing sonic playground, however I find the lack of stereo analog filters a significant weak point in an otherwise brilliant design. Such a tease to have those beautiful, state variable analog filters available, only to realize that the stereo image - whether waveforms or samples - is not preserved when passing oscillator audio output through them.

I'd like register my vote for a 4-voice mode with stereo analog filters to be added to the roadmap for future development.

Please Rolf, maybe 2.5? :) Thanks for your consideration of this request!

More
1 year 10 months ago #11 by Weston Underwood
Replied by Weston Underwood on topic Stereo filter
Go to the oscillator routing section, route some of the oscillator (30%?) direct to the digital filter. The rest will go via the analogue but enough to the digital to give you a stereo field. Obviously you can’t have a 100% on off like this but natural sounds aren’t 100% pure L or R either.