Blofeld Sysex Doc - Latest published (1.04) is 8 yrs old

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #1 by msepsis
I'd like to please request Waldorf officially release a sysex documentation update that is more current than 1.04. (Hardware>Blofeld>Downloads>Tools)

1.04 is from 2008.

2008 as in Gerhard Schröder... George W Bush... We still had two years until the first ipad came out.

I have many software updates I would like to make to monstrumFeld but I would like to have complete current documentation for the synth that isn't just a snippit reposted on some guy's blog.

Typically if something isn't published (by the manufacturer) it's because it isn't supported (by the manufacturer) and it isn't supported because tinkering around may cause unexpected results. Not something I want to unleash on our users.

Is it possible to update what's on Hardware>Blofeld>Downloads>Tools to reflect the current FW, not FW from 2008?

Thank you very much!

cross-platform software editors for Waldorf synths
www.monstrummedia.com
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by msepsis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #2 by michfiel

msepsis wrote: I'd like to please request Waldorf officially release a sysex documentation update that is more current than 1.04. (Hardware>Blofeld>Downloads>Tools)

Hi Robert,

Mentioning Gerhard Schröder gives me a smile :)

I guess, the reason why the documentation is not updated, is that there has nothing changed in the firmware beside a few bug fixes. The only important missing bits are related to the Multi Mode Protocol (very limited, of course...) and User Wavetables stuff (kinda strange and lame solution, but who cares …). Here is some information that I collected from the internet and implemented in GOFTER:

12decode.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=code:goftersysex

Michael

More
3 years 3 months ago #3 by msepsis
Thanks as always Michael. I truly appreciate what you and others have shared with me.

As far as I recall those things first showed up on the internet as an excerpt from a fw sysex document for 1.15, with a little disclaimer that read:

"These are my notes, not Waldorfs documentation. If you shoot
yourself into the foot, it's your very own problem."

Not exactly what I would call confidence inducing. :huh:

There were some other (what would be) very useful functions (that don't actually work) which were also described in that 1.15 documentation. Things like store, compare, recall etc. It would really be nice to have access to those if they exist.

cross-platform software editors for Waldorf synths
www.monstrummedia.com

More
2 years 9 months ago #4 by KenKennedy
The bits that I've found that are missing are:
On envelopes, for 'trigger' ('normal' or 'single'), this actually wrapped in with the 'mode' function.
For envelope type, the sysex manual lists the range as 0-4 - this is actually for all 5 modes in 'normal' mode. eg 0=ADSR with normal trigger.
For single trigger, keeping with the same sysex string the value range is 32-36. eg. 32=ADSR with single trigger.

For the poly/mono and unisolo modes, which is sysex 'parameter' 58 this is clear as mud in the manual, but essentially, rather than there being a 'unisolo on/off' mode, the values go like so:
For 1 voice (ie. normal): Poly value=0 Mono value=1
For 2 voices (unisolo now effectively switches on): Poly value=16 Mono value=17
For 3 voices: Poly value=32 Mono value=33
For 4 voices: Poly value=48 Mono value=49
For 5 voices: Poly value=64 Mono value=65
For 6 voices: Poly value=80 Mono value=81

In global mode:
51 0-1 off,on PROG SEND
62 0-1 OFF/ON LOCAL CONTROL
64 0-11 FREE BUTTON:
Off, Sustain, Sust. Toggle, Ctrl W, Ctrl X, Ctrl Y, Ctrl Z, Ctrl W Toggle, Ctrl X Toggle, Ctrl Y Toggle, Ctrl Z Toggle, Mute
65 0-1 Normal/Inverse PEDAL

Changing the display contrast via sysex dump seems to do nothing - the number value changes on the Blofeld screen...but the contrast doesn't actually change. Twiddling the knob on the Blofeld, seeing the same number value change...the display miraculously does change its contrast.
This could possibly happen on other global parameters, that values change, but nothing actually happens - I haven't checked.

The ONE update I would like for the sysex, which I'm half convinced is already in it, are the straings to save a patch/multi.
I heard there's no room on the processor for anything else to run, which is why the LFO clock doesn't work...maybe they could lob out the not-working coding for this and replace it with that, eh?

More
2 years 5 months ago #5 by feijai
Holy thread revival Batman!

I've developed an open source Java Blofeld patch editor called Edisyn. After reviewing this thread and it's links it's apparent that there ARE multimode request and dump commands but I still can't find any document that someone​ may have put together which describes them. Can anyone point me to one? I would be grateful and would be glad to offer you a free copy of my, um, free patch editor.

Moderators: Pablo