Unaddressed Issues in OS 1.22

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1 by msepsis
I had reported these to my waldorf rep who supplied me with the beta builds leading up to the 1.22 firmware but they are still not resolved:

-We still don't get a display parameter for Osc 1, 2 or 3 Semitone.
-PWM Amount is listed on two consecutive pages of Display Parameters.
-When a Wavetable is selected the parameter is still labeled "Pulsewidth" although it's actually "Start Wave".
-When a Wavetable is selected the parameter is still labeled "PWM Amount" although it's actually Wavetable Modulation (WTM) Amount".
-Why does PWM Amt appear at all if you have an Osc shape other than the Pulse or a Wavetable selected?
-Sawtooth, Triangle, Sine shapes - Limit, PW, PWM Amt and PWM source do not apply, so why do they appear?

I actually address all these situations where either a parameter is not applicable or a parameter changes its function depending on the situation in my monstrumFeld editor . It helps to prevent you from tweaking a knob that has no effect.

cross-platform software editors for Waldorf synths
www.monstrummedia.com
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by msepsis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #2 by EvilDragon
What I would like to see is if we use the Select knob when we select Matrix row, it would immediately switch to the page of the selected matrix slot... I miss this really much when hands-on editing directly on the Blofeld.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3 by Malmi315
1- ocasionaly, the sound hungs like hold pedal was pressed. I switch repeteadly the hold pedal and then it normalize. I think ithis happen on mono patches only,

2- when I switch the blofeld on, I put it on Multi mode. The problem is when I send a program change ( including bank 0 within the midi message ) to change to another multi patch, the sound change but the display don't change.
I change the patches from the front panel and send program changes randomly until, don't no why, the blofeld "engages" with midi and then the display and patch changes obey mi midi messagges.

More
5 years 3 months ago #4 by Big Gnome

EvilDragon wrote: What I would like to see is if we use the Select knob when we select Matrix row, it would immediately switch to the page of the selected matrix slot... I miss this really much when hands-on editing directly on the Blofeld.

Very much agreed. This has always felt clumsy to me.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #5 by ricard

-We still don't get a display parameter for Osc 1, 2 or 3 Semitone.
-PWM Amount is listed on two consecutive pages of Display Parameters.
-When a Wavetable is selected the parameter is still labeled "Pulsewidth" although it's actually "Start Wave".
-When a Wavetable is selected the parameter is still labeled "PWM Amount" although it's actually Wavetable Modulation (WTM) Amount".
-Why does PWM Amt appear at all if you have an Osc shape other than the Pulse or a Wavetable selected?
-Sawtooth, Triangle, Sine shapes - Limit, PW, PWM Amt and PWM source do not apply, so why do they appear?

When it comes to parameters that don't appear when they have no effect, I'd say that's a bit of a philosophical question too. Taking the analogy to an analog synth, if you select the sawtooth waveform, the pulse width knob is still there, it doesn't go away. So there's a logic to having all parameters present att all times, even when they don't actually do anything in the current configuration.

To draw this further, if envelope 3 is not used as a modulation source, should its parameters disappear completely from the menu system? Or glide amount if glide is set to off?

One aspect too is that the way it is now the menu system looks the same at all times, i.e. if I know that selecting osc 1 and then advancing the select knob four steps to the right puts me at a certain parameter, then it gets confusing if parameters can come and go.

I agree though that PW and PWM are a misnomers when wavetables are used. I think the parameter should be called 'Shape' instead, as that would cover reasonably PW and wavetable modulation reasonably well without having to resort to changing the name of the parameter depending on the waveshape. That would get confusing as a mod matrix destination for instance, as the destination name would change depending on the oscillator waveform.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by ricard.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #6 by ricard
There seems to be a problem with patches which are set to mono voice allocation when used in a multi program. I have not figured out all the details, but it seems that patches that are set to mono allocation can have notes cut short, probably depending on what happens on the other parts in the multi. I don't know if this is a well-known bug or not, but it makes mono patches in multi mode rather useless.

Moderators: Pablo