Blofeld Filter1 Type resets to Bypass frequently

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #1 by tenfour
I'm having a problem with my new Blofeld: The Filter1 Type is frequently reset to Bypass.

First I tried with the EWI5000, and after playing a couple notes, the Filter1 type gets set to Bypass.

I tried in Reaper: I set a track to output to the Blofeld. Just by hitting "play", Filter1 gets reset to Bypass. Even with no MIDI messages to play. I believe Reaper sends a CC123 (All Notes Off) in this case.

For the moment I guess i'll just forget about Filter1, and attempt to use Filter2, but I feel there is something seriously wrong here. I'm also concerned that other parameters are being reset that I just haven't seen yet. It doesn't seem like the kind of issue that's hardware-related, but I'm surprised I couldn't find anyone else with this issue in my searches.

Can anyone give some insight or a workaround? This is driving me crazy.

*Edit: This is on 1.25 firmware
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by tenfour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2 by Qwave
Filter 1 type is MIDI CC #68 value 0

So put some MIDI monitor software and check if this is sent to the Blofeld by the EWI5000 or other connected gear.

I am very sure, that my Blofeld never changed Filter 1 type by itself here. And in all those years I never read about others having the same problem as you. So there is a reason why it is only happening to you. Something in your setup is causing this.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #3 by tenfour
I do believe you're right; maybe I had monitoring on so EWI messages were still passing through to the Blofeld.

The EWI sends a bunch of CC messages that the Blofeld doesn't handle well. Most can be turned off, but CC#68 is not possible to turn off.

This CC is for legato pedal though, so I consider it a problem that Blofeld interprets this as changing a filter type.

Is there any way to tell the Blofeld to stop handling these CC messages improperly?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #4 by Qwave

tenfour wrote: ...
This CC is for legato pedal though, so I consider it a problem that Blofeld interprets this as changing a filter type.

The Blofeld and many modern synths got more parameters as the range of available MIDI CCs. While you could use the NRPN baes controllers, but these are not available on many controller boards/sending synths. So Waldorf did use some other CCs as solution. And this works well in most setups.

And after all, the Blofeld is most likely one of the oldest polyphonic synth still in production.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #5 by tenfour
Thanks for your reply. Fortunately the Blofeld does have a global MIDI setting to disable parameter changes via MIDI CC. So I can just disable this and it works fine. For my purposes I don't need to adjust parameters during live performance.

Another option I had considered was inserting some MIDI processor in front of the Blofeld to map/filter CCs.

So it looks like I found a way to make this work. Thank you!