Sequence and Play keyboard at same time?

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1 by jimmynugg
I was wondering if it's possible to sequence (with my Elektron Digitakt) and play the Blofeld with a keyboard at the same time. Obviously it would be in multi-mode and would require some kind of MIDI hub but I'm just wondering if that's possible at all. If it is, could anyone recommend a MIDI hub to use or some kind of hardware routing advice? If someone has asked this before here just let me know and I'll delete this thread.

Thanks!!!

(P.S. someone in my area is selling a MOTU Timepiece II for dirt cheap so, would that have a possibility to work?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #2 by branch
Hello friend. You should be able to accomplish this via USB. For example, Digitakt feeds midi to Blofeld via USB, whilst your keyboard sends midi to the Blofeld over the traditional 5-pin DIN cable.

Don't forget to set up all devices to communicate on the correct midi channels. E.g. Keyboard sends midi to Blofeld on channel 1 (Blofeld part 1 listens on channel 1). Digitakt sends midi over channel 1 (Blofeld part 2 listens on channel 2). If you're having issues, read through the respective device manuals to set things up correctly.

I hope this helps.
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by branch.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #3 by megamarkd
Sorry for getting here late, I've been rather busy trying to move house!
I'd suggest getting yourself a MIDI merger. The idea is you connect all your MIDI controllers to the inputs of the merger then it combines the data and outputs them as a single stream.
There are a few companies who sell them. I own a Kenton Merge-4 which has 4 inputs and two outputs. It also has a 'smart' MIDI time selector that senses which ports are receiving MIDI time messages, allows the first port it senses to pass onto the outputs and strips the messages from the other three ports to avoid creating tempo madness. They are not expensive and are a really useful tool as your set-up grows.
As for the MOTU Timepiece II, I think that might be not really what you want. It was used to sync MIDI gear with SMPTE gear amongst other things, and is a bit of a relic these days. MOTU do make a MIDI router that can do what a MIDI merger does but it's overkill for what you are trying to achieve right now and way more expensive than a merger. I'd actually suggest an iConnectivity MIO4 (or that new one they have just announced) if you were going to go down that route, they are super flexible and also have a USB MIDI host function which can accommodate up to eight USB MIDI devices without needing to use a computer. Well you need a computer to configure iConnectivity products, but once done, it can work without a computer in a stand-alone capacity.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #4 by UpTop
Might I also suggest any of the MIDI Solutions boxes - midisolutions.com/products.htm I have <ahem> a few of these boxes and they work REALLY well. The good folks at The MIDI Store sell them and often have sales - www.midi-store.com

Moderators: Pablo