USB connections (both) cause problems

Mehr
3 Jahre 4 Monate her - 3 Jahre 4 Monate her #7 von paulshillito
I had the same issue, I had the USB connection and the midi out. I was using the keyboard to trigger in Ableton, do some manipulation (i think is was snapping it to a scale) then send the notes back into the Quantum. After a short while, it became very laggy and the sound started to break up, the more keys i played the worse the problem became, the only thing i could do was to turn off and on again.
After this happened a few times I disconnected the USB and the problem stopped and I concluded that it was a midi feedback loop. The strange thing was the effect it had on the rest of the synth which looked like it was about breakdown completely.
Letzte Änderung: 3 Jahre 4 Monate her von paulshillito.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
3 Jahre 4 Monate her - 3 Jahre 4 Monate her #8 von SteveElbows
Its a curious bug, I had previously thought it was some fairly straightforward internal midi feedback going on, and I thought I could get round it simply by disabling or changing channels on the right combination of midi inuts and outputs in the Quantum settings.

But I did some more testing yesterday, and reached a somewhat different conclusion. I need to do more testing before reaching a really final conclusion, but yesterday I observed the following:

It is an issue with signals coming from the keyboard, pitch wheel, mod wheel, when midi outputs are enabled on the Quantum. When I had a Linnstrument attached to the usb host port, the solution was to disable midi out to that port (dont need it in that scenario anyway). But when connecting the other USB port to a mac is when the problem got interesting and took on a new dimension for me.....

With the Quantum connected to the mac via usb, and that usb port enabled in the Quantum settings, but no software that actually listens to that quantum usb midi running on the mac, I consistently got the bug. As soon as I pressed any keys, there would be a delay, some random sounds, and the notes I played would eventually trigger but then be stuck. These notes could be cleared by pressing the octave up and down buttons at the same time.

But as soon as I ran a midi monitor utility on the Mac, the Quantum behaved. Same with other uses of the Quantum midi output port, eg using it in a DAW or going into mac midi settings and live routing the Quantum output to a network midi session.

I did not expect this to be the problem, but it seems the USB midi from quantum to computer is quite stable, even with output enabled, so long as I have something running on my computer that opens that port and receives messages from it! As soon as I stop doing that, eg close the midi monitor utility on my mac, within seconds the Quantum becomes unstable again when using its keyboard, pitch wheel etc!

I will do some more testing today or tomorrow, but it looks like there is some error inside the Quantum where if the midi output from keyboard etc to usb is not actually reaching an active destination, something gets stalled or stuck or routed to the wrong place.
Letzte Änderung: 3 Jahre 4 Monate her von SteveElbows.

Mehr
3 Jahre 4 Monate her - 3 Jahre 4 Monate her #9 von Finnman
I think Steve Elbows is on to something here. I can verify this strange behavour on the Mac as well (used an Macbook Pro 2012 -laptop, my PC which I use mainly as a DAW is 1 year old, very fast model working on Windows 10). Hopefully this is a firmware bug, not hardware one because firmware is always easier to fix. Is anyone at Waldorf working on this to be released as a firmware fix?
Letzte Änderung: 3 Jahre 4 Monate her von Finnman.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: SteveElbows

Mehr
3 Jahre 4 Monate her - 3 Jahre 4 Monate her #10 von Thumper
Does it happen with both USB 2.1 and USB 3.0 ports?
I've found 3.0 has some issues with other hardware.

I've only been using it with regular MIDI cables so far...
Letzte Änderung: 3 Jahre 4 Monate her von Thumper.

Mehr
3 Jahre 4 Monate her - 3 Jahre 4 Monate her #11 von SteveElbows

Does it happen with both USB 2.1 and USB 3.0 ports?
I've found 3.0 has some issues with other hardware.

I've only been using it with regular MIDI cables so far...

I've only got USB 3 ports on my mac, but I suspect this isnt a factor in this case, there is something wrong on the Quantum side that goes beyond some standard usb issues. Plus it hapens when peripherals are plugged into the USB host port on the Quantum as well, if midi out to that port is enabled. eg devices such as the Linnstrument which arent USB 3 at the peripheral end.
Letzte Änderung: 3 Jahre 4 Monate her von SteveElbows.

Mehr
3 Jahre 4 Monate her #12 von Fateichel
Yeah... same bugs here with USB connected (Imac)