software editor/patch manager

Mehr
2 Jahre 6 Monate her - 2 Jahre 6 Monate her #1 von jamesw767@me.com
Hi
are you guys planning to release a software editor for the Kyra?

thanks
Letzte Änderung: 2 Jahre 6 Monate her von jamesw767@me.com.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
2 Jahre 5 Monate her - 2 Jahre 5 Monate her #2 von walerandei
Yeah! An VST editor it would be great!
Letzte Änderung: 2 Jahre 5 Monate her von walerandei.

Mehr
1 Jahr 11 Monate her #3 von wrwrightson
More of a question along the same lines. How do I back up the Kyra patches to USB or computer? Certainly the editor would assist with that

Mehr
1 Jahr 11 Monate her #4 von dbmcclain
I was looking at doing a patch editor last night. I just answered the question on how to back up Banks in the topic that directly asked that question.

But sadly, as I look at the documented MIDI Implementation, it is rather meagre, and cannot support a computer driven patch editor. At most you can manually send across the current editor buffer from Kyra to a computer. That will end up with a bulk of bytes that represent its internal state. But there is no documentation on that state.

From comparison of successive patch slots in one bank, I could find that byte 7 (from zero) contains the slot number for the patch, in a bulk dump. But there is no indication of Bank in any of these dumps.

So that probably means you could send the A Bank to a computer, then set up the Kyra to deal with the B bank, and have the computer send the bulk patches back to the Kyra. I haven't tried this yet, but presumably that would overwrite Kyra's B bank with those patches from the A bank.

Beyond that, Kyra responds to a handful of MIDI CC messages from the computer. And yet it never sends any of those parameters from Kyra to the computer when you twist the knobs.

So, until / unless Waldorf documents features that may be present, or else substantially increases the MIDI Implementation, it is essentially impossible to provide a computer based patch editor program.

Mehr
1 Jahr 11 Monate her #5 von dbmcclain
My mistake... Kyra really does send its knob twists to the computer, if you enable them with Transmit Automation in MIDI Configuration.

So I suppose it will be possible to reverse engineer many of the SYSEX format control movements.

Someone else questioned the use of SYSEX for these. But I really don't see much difference between using SYSEX and NRPN sequences, except, perhaps, for running status to shrink the communication overhead.

With a decent MIDI over USB implementation, the difference to a DAW is minimal.

Mehr
1 Jahr 5 Monate her #6 von enlasolas
Hi,

I have been in touch with the developers from Midi Quest who know more about editors. sysex etc. than anybody else. And they have confirmed that Waldorf does not (!) provide any sysex documentation - which is a shame.

Here is, what they have answered on my inquiry:

While we may add support for the Kyra in the future, currently we are working on other instruments. The last round of Waldorf products either have no SysEx implementation or no SysEx documentation, which definitely makes it more difficult for us to provide support in Midi Quest. We will continue to monitor the line but, at present, there hasn't been sufficient interest expressed and development is a challenge instead of being straight forward.

I don’t understand the product policy of Waldorf. If you guys are not planing to develop a librarian or editor by yourselves, why then don’t you at least support the development of 3rd party editors? This is a major roadblock to me and I am definitively thinking about returning my Kyra to the vendor now. Access Virus (and many other devices) does the job as well and comes with full editor support.