Filter routing

Mehr
1 Jahr 1 Monat her #1 von NoiseTheorem
Filter routing wurde erstellt von NoiseTheorem
I just received my Iridium and I am a little surprised by how the dual filter is so fixed in its routing.   On previous, significantly cheaper, Waldorf synthesizers, the dual filters were very flexible, allowing each oscillator to be balanced between them so that you could achieve any series/parallel configuration you wanted.  Also, you could route Filter 1 (F1) into Filter 2 (F2) in a similar way by balancing the output of F1 to the VCA or F2.   Also, each filter had a stripped down version of the Digital Former after it.  This was very useful, and would allow you to create certain sounds the Iridium cannot do because you could arrange the filters as F1->DF->F2.    I'm really surprised that you cannot do this. 

Of course, this could also be my ignorance being new to working with the Iridium, and if that's the case, please enlighten me.   The manual seems to indicate there is a routing possible that I have not figured out how to get via the diagram on page 95 which *seems* to show a signal routing back from the output of the filters back to their inputs (which would be cool for feedback effects) but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to actually get that routing to be active.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
1 Jahr 1 Monat her #2 von Saebel23
Saebel23 antwortete auf Filter routing
If you go to the Filter menu, you can set the destination for each OSC. You can route the OSC in various ways...
Hope that will answer your question...

greetz

k.

Mehr
1 Jahr 1 Monat her #3 von NoiseTheorem
NoiseTheorem antwortete auf Filter routing
I know that, but you can only set the balance between the filters OR the digital former. You can’t route, say, Osc1 to Filter 1 and Osc2 to Filter2. There is also no way to put the filters into a series configuration, such as on the Blofeld.

Mehr
1 Jahr 1 Monat her #4 von Qwave
Qwave antwortete auf Filter routing
In the Filter section is the Routing parameter:

• Former -> Filter: the audio signal first leads into the Digital Former section and from there into the Dual Filter section.
• Filter -> Former: the audio signal first leads into the Dual Filter section and from there into the Digital Former section.
• Parallel: the audio signal is routed in equal parts to the Digital Former section as well as into the Dual Filter section. This enables simultaneous parallel processing.

(EN manual PDF page 87)

Mehr
1 Jahr 1 Monat her #5 von NoiseTheorem
NoiseTheorem antwortete auf Filter routing
Yes. I have read that. What I'm saying is this is kind of weird setup on a synth that claims to be so flexible. The dual filter is FIXED in parallel configuration. The only thing you can move around is the digital former. Further, you cannot balance signal inputs between the two filters, so all oscillators go through both filters no mater what. My Z1 from 1997 allowed for a more flexible two filter setup. And with its voice board, has 18 voices of polyphony...

This literally means there are sounds I can easily do on my Blofeld that the Iridium cannot do because the filters are fixed and it only has ONE digital former (on the blofeld, there is a drive stage after each filter that can do some of what the former does, but you've got two of them.

This is a system that hopefully can be improved in the future.

Mehr
1 Jahr 1 Monat her #6 von Qwave
Qwave antwortete auf Filter routing
You can balance the oscillators individually (!!!) to the analog filters or the digital formers. See OSC CONTROL tab, DESTINATION parameter.
So it is absolutely not true, that all oscillators have to go through all filters. This individual routing of the oscillators to the analog and digital filter is much like the F1 and F2 balancing of the Blofeld. So what are you missing compared to the Blofeld? Only the option to route the oscillators individually to one of the two analog filters is missing. You have to use the analog and the digital filter as filter 1 and 2. But as the analog filters itself two filters in parallel or serial, you can set three filters per sound. But not with individual balancing of the oscillators to the analog filter 1 or 2. But hey, the Blofeld had just two filters.

And the analog filters got their own drive. And you can use the analog filters in parallel or serial. But yes, there is no filter in the digital former with drive. It is either drive or filter there.

There are may sound I was never able to do on my Blofeld or other synths I ever owned, but are done easily on the Quantum due to the many different oscillator modes.