using the Blofeld DAWlessly?

Mehr
2 Jahre 6 Monate her #1 von catfart
Hi.
I dig the Blofeld.

question:
is the USB on it powered? Nothing happens when I plug in a USB MIDI keyboard. Also tried plugging 5-pin from a powered keyboard into the 5-pin.

I can only get the Blofeld to make sound when I route it through my DAW, Reaper.

Is there a setting I need to change to plug a keyboard directly in?

I got my Blofeld from Sweetwater, it's a store demo model.

Thank you.
MWD

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
2 Jahre 6 Monate her #2 von Qwave
The Blofeld got a USB SLAVE and not a USB HOST connector. And only a host would be powered. And a USB Type B socket is never a host or powered.

Most USB keyboard need to be connected to a USB host and are powered by USB. So you can't use such a USB keyboard with the Blofeld and most other USB equipped synth on the market (there only a very few synth with a USB host connection in addition to the USB slave connector) without connecting the synth and the keyboard to a computer with two USB host connectors (Typ A or other, but not Typ B).

Mehr
2 Jahre 6 Monate her #3 von catfart
Thank you.

Why the heck did they do it that way? Would have cost pennies more to have make it powered.

Hell, I bet they could do that with a firmware update.

Now that I own a Blowfeld and read more about it, I see it as an ***almost*** marvel of engineering.

If Waldorf would make the USB powered, and include a very good patch librarian (better than free Bigglesworth, but not 60 bucks like Blox), and fix a few other easy to fix hardware and software issues, the Blofeld would sell five times as many units.

It's bad business to NOT do that.

I've read posts from SO many people who bought, and later sold, a Blofeld.

I hope someone from Waldorf reads this.

And I'm wiling to help out with alpha testing if they do update this 13 year old design. It's so close, but not out of the park like it should be.

Mehr
2 Jahre 6 Monate her - 2 Jahre 6 Monate her #4 von catfart
Do you know of any relatively inexpensive, smallish (not bigger than a Blofeld) hub type thing that plugs into the wall and will power this type of USB?

Like if you use the Blofeld for a gig, do you need to bring a computer? If you have to do that, it kind of defeats the purpose of hardware.
Could just use soft synths.
Letzte Änderung: 2 Jahre 6 Monate her von catfart. Grund: spelling

Mehr
2 Jahre 6 Monate her - 2 Jahre 6 Monate her #5 von señor-bling
If you want a usb solution, the smallest and relatively cheapest device is a retrokits RK 005 combined with a small usb hub. But it seems to me, you should take a look at your midi configuration first. 5pin DIN Midi definitely works, without the need for a DAW. But you have to make sure the Blofeld's receiving channel matches the channel your keyboard is sending on. Otherwise it won't work either way.
Which keyboard do you use?
Letzte Änderung: 2 Jahre 6 Monate her von señor-bling.

Mehr
2 Jahre 6 Monate her - 2 Jahre 6 Monate her #6 von catfart
Thank you.

I use a Keystation 61. It has 5-pin DIN, and I ordered a DIN to DIN cable.

I realized today from a post elsewhere that I didn't need USB to do this.

Keystation has DIN out.
Letzte Änderung: 2 Jahre 6 Monate her von catfart.